Art Film Fest provides a large-scale setting for presenting the latest works of world cinema, as well as noteworthy titles from film history and a selection of quality films curated from the Slovak cinematic tradition. The festival’s centrepieces are its two competition sections – for feature films and short films, respectively. Winners of each are determined by international juries, who grant the Blue Angel Award for best film, director, actress and actor. The non-competition sections feature the works of established filmmakers, notable films of various national cinemas, cult classics that have made their mark in film history and thematically oriented film projects, as well as profiles and retrospectives of acclaimed filmmakers.
The constant concern of Art Film Fest’s organizers is to attract Slovak audiences, generate enthusiasm for the art of cinema and educate as well as cultivate film admirers and connoisseurs. Spontaneous audience interest is central to Art Film Fest’s philosophy, and thus we chiefly aim to interest and attract students and young people. A marvellous atmosphere, appealing programme, stars, luminaries and tens of thousands of visitors are the hallmark of the festival.
Art Film Fest has been held in the Slovak Republic since 1993, first in Trenčianske Teplice and later expanding to Trenčín. As of 2016 the festival has relocated to Košice.
- International Competition of Feature Films (feature films copyrighted no earlier than 1 January 2015)
- International Competition of Short Films (short films copyrighted no earlier than 1 January 2015)
- Be2Can Starter (the best films from Venice, Berlin and Cannes)
- European Corner (a showcase of the most noteworthy films from the old continent)
- Love & Anarchy (a collection highlighting independent, innovative trends in film)
- Slovak Season (a selection of the Slovak film industry’s most significant works)
- Around the World (the latest films from outside of Europe)
- Eastern Promises (crowd-pleasing pictures from Asia)
- Late Night Show (a midnight genre mishmash)
- Actor’s Mission (a tribute to masters of the art of acting)
- Golden Camera (a tribute to eminent filmmakers)
Competition categories and awards
The Competition of Feature Films is judged by a five-member international jury, the Competition of Short Films by a three-member international jury. Both juries consist of nominated experts of various film-related professions.
International Competition of Feature Films of 60 minutes or more
Submissions must be fiction films produced in the preceding or current year (for this year, this means films copyrighted in 2015 or 2016). The competition is primarily oriented towards filmmakers early in their careers – only a director’s debut, second or third film may be submitted.
International Competition of Short Films of up to 30 minutes
The competition is limited only by runtime, not by genre – it is open to fiction films, documentaries and animated films, among others.
The Blue Angel
- Blue Angel for Best Feature Film – awarded to the film’s producer
- Blue Angel for Best Director – awarded to the film’s director
- Blue Angel for Best Female Performance – awarded to the actress
- Blue Angel for Best Male Performance – awarded to the actor
- Blue Angel – prize for best short film, awarded to the film’s director.
Actor’s Mission Award
Every year since 1995 Art Film Fest has bestowed the Actor’s Mission Award to world-famous performers for their outstanding contributions to the art of film acting. The award has been received by 56 international and Slovak performers to date.
The Golden Camera
The Golden Camera is awarded to Slovak and international film professionals of various trades for their significant contributions to the filmmaking craft. Since 2001, 36 prominent film professionals have received the award.
The festival is accompanied by frequent evening concerts, workshops, autograph signings, discussions, exhibitions and vernissages.